So, you remember that move back in the college days? Yes, exactly that one. When you asked your parents or neighbors to give you a hand with your suitcases all the way to the dorms. Yes, we are talking about moving from home for the first time. Well, relocating from coast to coast will be nothing like that. In fact, the biggest difference in the move itself will probably be the culture shock of going from one end of the USA to the other. So, we decided to make a short post in order to guide you through the mysteries of these differences. First and foremost, let us give you a short breakdown of the basic culture shock of moving from coast to coast:
What is the difference between the East and West coast?
If you’re thinking that there isn’t a huge difference between the East and the West coast, you are correct. Though, there are still some culture shocks that a person moving from coast to coast should be aware of. So, let’s talk a bit about these topics.
- When moving from coast to coast, you should know the job market
Firstly, let us mention some big names: Amazon, Apple, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, YouTube, Microsoft and Google. These are all companies which started out small, only to rise to unimaginable size. So, do you know which coast they come from? Exactly! These are all companies which began in the West coast. The first culture shock of moving from coast to coast is that there are more job opportunities in the West. While the residents there do deal with unemployment, the rate isn’t nearly as high as in the East. Not only that, but, when moving to your West coast home, you will feel more relaxed and secure about your job.
- Another culture shock of moving is the cost of living
So, if there are more start-up companies and jobs in the West, it’s more expensive to live there? Not exactly. Please, do take into consideration that both of the coasts are quite large, and they are composed of a number of different states. The cost of living, will, accordingly, differ even within a coast. But, let’s ignore that discrepancy and consider the area as a whole for a moment. When moving from coast to coast, you will face the culture shock of different prices. In most cases, despite the rich job market, the cost of living will be lower in the West. This allows the residents to buy more luxury items and afford more trips.
- When moving from coast to coast, take a look at the forecast
The West coast actually has milder weather than the East coast. Don’t be fooled, it does actually snow in some states in the West, so be sure to read through the forecast. Though, the good thing is, when moving from coast to coast, the term ‘polar vortex’ is completely alien in the West. Though, that side of the country also has a fair number of its own meteorological unpleasantries.
West to East culture shocks you should be ready for when moving from coast to coast
So, before, we mentioned a few basic differences which you will face between these two coasts. Now, it’s time to prepare you for some, more practical, points of culture shock when moving from coast to coast. So, if you’re going from the West to the East coast, you should know:
- The biggest culture shock is the Wegmans – it is the convenience store of the East
- Hardee’s is calling itself Carl’s Jr when it moves to the other coast
- When moving from coast to coast, get ready for the drop of the quality of avocados, and, naturally, the Mexican cuisine, as well
- You won’t really understand the fascination with Wawa, but that’s alright
- The case of Dunkin Donuts is quite similar – both the donuts and the coffee are… ok?
- If you don’t have a Longchamp bag before moving from coast to coast, consider getting one – you will fit into the masses instantly
- The fashion for men is a bit strange – pastel-colored shirts and shorts all the time
- Speaking of clothing, when moving from coast to coast, be ready to have nautical creatures designs everywhere
- You will surely become a master of subway navigation – not to mention an even better jaywalker!
- Black leggings are in – there is no limit on how many a woman should own
- In the end, when moving from coast to coast, you will trade the Mexican food for the Pizza – it is definitely better in the East
- The bagels aren’t far behind, either…
- Not to even mention the happy hours and cheap drinks after moving from coast to coast!
East to West culture shocks you should be ready for when relocating from coast to coast
If you’ve skipped the previous paragraph, meaning that you’re moving from the East to the West coast, then, we’ve got you covered. Here are some tips on the culture shocks you should expect when moving from coast to coast:
- The popular opinion of the West coast being only California isn’t true
- If you’ve been following The Real Housewives prepare for the culture shock – not everyone is blonde!
- As we’ve mentioned before, when moving from coast to coast be ready for the weather – it actually snows in the West
- There are also some pretty nasty earthquakes from time to time – which don’t really get less scary with time, like the locals tell you
- The waves are great in the West, but not everybody spends all of their time on the beach
- If you’ve bought a pair of flip-flops for moving from coast to coast, you might not need them to fit in – not everyone prefers that footwear
- Don’t assume, as you may suffer a culture shock – not everyone surfs in the West
- Despite the popular jobs in tech and entertainment, not everybody works in it
- Get ready to eat some amazing Mexican cuisine!
- And, yes, the pizza was better back in the East, we know
- Finally, it’s not always sunny in California – it gets really foggy, as well
With this short guide, we hope that we’ve prepared you for the common culture shock of moving from coast to coast in the USA. Good luck!